Open Doors

Whew.. it's been awhile since I have written. We have been sitting around eating bon bons over here :)

7 years ago this month, my Jeremy was doing what he does best. Preparing. He had the spread sheet. Plan A, B, and most likely C. He took it to my dad to ask for my hand in attempt to show his 20 year old self could provide for us. And while I'm sure my dad did and continues to appreciate one of my husband's best qualities; dad responded with a statement that stuck like glue in Jeremy's mind. He continues to quote it often as we think about serving others.

"Son, I want to open doors for you and Kristin so that you can open them for others"

See, at the time we were both full time students with no income. Wanting to get married. With no earthly idea of what we were getting into.

Our parents have and continue to open doors for us. So have our teachers, mentors, friends, and employers.

The only way we have been able to steward 4 children and have anything left to pour out is first by the grace and strength of Jesus and then those open doors.
 
Sometimes these doors are intentional and sometimes very subtle.

Over the past 6 months, Jesus has brought 2 college aged girls into our lives by the strangest of circumstances. 2 girls who have aged out of the local foster care system. One our waitress. The other through multiple emails from unrelated sources. We were not looking for more doors to open. From an earthly measurement; we live in a mansion of closed doors with our kids alone.

These girls have had little to no door opening for them. In fact, they have had way too many seasons of doors being slammed in their face. Abuse. Lack of basic resources.  Poor education. Things I can't and frankly don't want to fathom.

But man they are fighters and overcomers. I am daily amazed at their restoration and hope. 

I don't know what the future holds for our relationship with them. But right now; we will continue to open the next door. A meal around our table. Financial advice. Therapy appointments. Job opportunities.

And we won't do it alone. Because Jesus has called some of our dear friends to open their doors too.

 Sometimes you will open a door. Stick your neck out there. Exhaust your resources and connections for another. And they won't walk through.

It's heart wrenching. You know it's not for their best. You're reputation may be bruised. But that's not our job. Our job is simply to open the door. How often Jesus must cup His head in His hands and say "I opened this door for you but you chose not to step through. Not yet anyway. HOLD FAST FRIENDS. OPEN THEM.

I know what you may be thinking. I have no doors to open. But reflect today. You're reading this aren't you? That in itself tells me you have education, resources in your computer or phone, and time (or maybe not and you should be getting off facebook :).

~kristin


Comments

Popular Posts